Week 10. reflection on social media in classroom settings (after reading Alonzo et al. (2022))

Alonzo et al. (2022) report that instructors integrate social media such as Facebook and Twitter because they support the instant exchange of feedback. However, I'm a bit skeptical about this point; is instant feedback the main reason for using social media in courses? I believe the reason for using social media should be to develop shared knowledge through fewer, higher-quality posts, rather than exchanging instant feedback on mass-produced posts. If the main reason is sharing and "produsing" knowledge, using social media makes sense, considering it is open to the public, leading to a higher possibility of "produsing" with the public. On the other hand, instant feedback is also possible through LMS discussion boards. Besides, even though prosuming and produsing are the main learning objectives, I'm doubtful that requiring every student to post something weekly and to leave a comment or feedback is helpful. I don't think writing many posts reproduces knowledge. Instead, I believe enough time and quality feedback or comments do. Even if there's a requirement for every student to leave comments, they'll be overwhelmed by the quantity of weekly new posts and invest less cognitive effort and time writing comments per post, which leads to superficial and less constructive feedback. Also, they won't be interested in posts written in the past, which hinders the time available to reproduce knowledge. (and I think I'll be one of them tbh)


Comments

  1. Hi! I agree with this. My blog posts this week also focused on the topic of assessment using social media tools. I am also a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of this method. I wonder how much thought and intentionality actually occurs when we use assessment in this way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2. book chapter and my reflection

week4. Digital badge app design draft for a lazy grad student

Week1 reflection - Is Web 4.0-supported information rosy?